Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Manipulate

I was once a lapdog
but the day I found
my stink was the day I grew
my teeth was the day I buried
myself in a shoebox and lapped
my soul from cupped hands and
realized I had hands.

What work is there for hands but making
planets? But tickling blades of grass up
and brushing through a field at full-speed caress?
There is more, there is much more than making planets,
than planting daisies or scribbling walls of sprawling spray-paint rants
to crack your knuckles at.

There is a kind of silence
digging in the ground,
as pounds and pounds
of hope are shoveled out, are piled aside
a space to hold a new word
or the quick rush of realization.

What work is there for hands but shaking
out the terms from nonsense verse?
But boxing the world
and twiddling for a turn at naming formless clouds?
There is more, there is much more than shaking out the terms,
than hoisting up the sails, than rubbing down the rails,
than flattening the map and pointing where you are.

I was once found
in the shoebox of growing up,
cupping water from the sink,
when a real life realization
handed me the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment